Tuesday, December 6, 2022

SCOTUS History: Farrell

The Supreme Court is something that as a woman, I'm very familiar with (especially as of late). Or at least, that's what I thought. There was a lot of things about SCOTUS that I wasn't aware of and a lot of it had to do with the history behind it. I wasn't aware that they first assembled in February of 1790 in New York City, although a lot of important things have happened there so that isn't at all surprising. I also found it really interesting when it comes to the checks and balances that they have to go through to make sure that they are effectively being constitutional. This was especially interesting when it comes to the procedure they have to go through to pass an original jurisdiction.  The definition of an original jurisdiction is when the Supreme Court is the first and only group to hear about a court case. 

 



I think there are a few take-away points that come with the Supreme Court that I found really interesting. Honestly what made me think the most or put it into perspective was that these judges at some point were college students just like us and clawed their way up to fight for our rights, or at least the rights that they deem to be constitutional. Of course that isn't necessarily what the most important part of the Supreme Court is, but I felt it needed to be mentioned so that we might keep them in perspective: they are just human beings. I think another thing, like I said before, that I found interesting was that they do have so many checks and balances. I definitely was someone when I was younger that would get outraged by the lack of action taken on all sides since these things were directly affecting my rights at times. But these people, who like I said are just human, have to go through countless hours and going past wall after wall to pass small laws. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Digital Footprint

  The year was 2011. I was just going into my first year of middle school and people started to talk about this thing called snapchat. At th...